View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Please tighten up controls and animations 

Post Please tighten up controls and animations
Hi!

New to this game, love the concept and many seem to like it, so I was really excited to try it out.

However, once I got into the actual game myself I must admit I was pretty disappointed.

As it seems to be intended to be a skill-based competitive game, I expected the controls to be very tight and precise with a high focus on accuracy and timing. I also expected the gameplay to have a somewhat decent pacing.

What I found however (and this is all of course merely my own personal opinion), were sluggish and unresponsive controls and floaty animations. IMO, it feels as if your character is moving through molasses and as if the whole game is in slow-motion. There is this constant "floaty", low-gravity "moving in water" feel over every movement which feels very awkward.

Now I do realize that if this is indeed the way the developers intends this game to behave, then this game is simply not for me. But, in the off-chance they are listening to feedback and would want to improve this, I made this post just in case.

With the controls and pace being as they currently are, I can't help but feel this game is more aimed towards older people with slower reaction times (which is not necessarily a bad thing, I'm no spring chicken myself :P), but nevertheless I found the overall "slow-mo" feel of the game very frustrating and think it's absolutely crucial for a supposed competitive game to have very responsive and tight controls.

Anyway, I'll most likely be flamed to a toast by all local Panzar fanbois here, but I just think it's a shame and waste of such a great concept and good looking game (I'm trying really hard to love it tbh) to not improve the controls and make them more responsive and precise, because it's pretty obvious to me at least that at the moment, they are most certainly not.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers!

/K

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Post Re: Please tighten up controls and animations
I think to some extent it is intended that the characters feel weighty. No doubt there is some tightening up to be done but I don't think the molasses effect will ever be gone.

Personally I rather like it. There is some importance in timing your attacks when the animations are so long, each attack is a real commitment. Each to his own though.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Zwergwerfer wrote:
I think to some extent it is intended that the characters feel weighty. No doubt there is some tightening up to be done but I don't think the molasses effect will ever be gone.

Personally I rather like it. There is some importance in timing your attacks when the animations are so long, each attack is a real commitment. Each to his own though.

Fair enough. As I said, it might indeed be an intended design-choice, in which case I'll just have to accept the game is not for me as I personally feel a lack of control and find it too damn frustrating. :P

Anyway, thanks for your civil reply, much appreciated. :)

/K

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Which class have you played? You might want to try one of the faster classes if you haven't. If that doesn't take your fancy then I guess that's it. Maybe they'll make improvements to your liking in the future.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I have felt same way... Game feels turn based spectacle due to locking characters in animations with no way to cancel the long moves and react to whats happening. You choose your action in 1 turn, enemy chooses his action in same turn and then you watch what is happening as a spectator.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:37 am

Zwergwerfer wrote:
Which class have you played? You might want to try one of the faster classes if you haven't. If that doesn't take your fancy then I guess that's it. Maybe they'll make improvements to your liking in the future.

Granted I have only played 2 classes so far. I started with the Berserker, but figured the issues I experienced may still be class-specific, so I tried out the Inquisitor as well.

However, unless there's a faster or more responsive class than the Inquisitor, then I guess the game is not for me, as it felt pretty much the same only moving slightly faster.

Also, I get what you're saying about the "weighty" feeling being intended, but the problem is I don't even feel that. Not only does the controls feel floaty and unresponsive, but I get absolutely no sense of impact at all when I hit something. Overall, the animations just feel awkward and out of sync (delayed). Very hard to put my finger on, but "floaty" is the best way I can describe it.

Thanks again, glad you enjoy the game (I really wish I could as well), but I'll just have to accept the fact that sadly it's not for me.

Falrinth wrote:
I have felt same way... Game feels turn based spectacle due to locking characters in animations with no way to cancel the long moves and react to whats happening. You choose your action in 1 turn, enemy chooses his action in same turn and then you watch what is happening as a spectator.

Hehe, ok. :P Wouldn't go quite as far as calling it turn-based, but I can at least feel some comfort in that I'm not alone in having issues with this. Turn-based or not, I just get the sense that I'm not fully in control of my character, which I find very frustrating from a gameplay perspective.

Anyway, too bad since it is in many ways an awesome game. I'll just have to lurk around and see if the controls get tightened up at some point, but seeing as so many seem happy with the current state of the game, I doubt it will happen. Still, gotta be happy for everyone else who can enjoy the game in full. :)

Thanks again for your time,

Cheers

/K

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:04 pm

I understand. Did you forge the next weapon for Berserker? If you get that you may feel the impact a little more, the first weapon is 'nerfed' so to speak. Hope you find something else to enjoy.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:16 pm

"many are happy" - where do oyu get that assupmtion? Game is very unpopular and on forums you can find only people reporting problems and the fanboys who never sees any problems but are first to defend the game when one raises.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Falrinth wrote:
"many are happy" - where do oyu get that assupmtion? Game is very unpopular and on forums you can find only people reporting problems and the fanboys who never sees any problems but are first to defend the game when one raises.

That sounds like the forum to every game. Forums in general really.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Why have the rewards if you skip the tutorial, if you wanna the pots, do the tutorial, its how you pay it. The staff dosnt need to answer you, for sure you will have to do the tutorial quest always. loll Its a rewards for a quest do the quest and thats it, i dont know why you ask something like this , when you have a quest in other game you have to do the quest togot the rewards, so its the same here.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next