View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Altar Score Idea 

Post Altar Score Idea
This idea would fundamentally change how Panzar works. On the other hand, it could also cause for all people logged into the game at any time of the day to find a balanced match, nearly instantly.

My concept involves a scale and the Altar talent tree. Currently, the way the Altar tabs works is that with each new level you choose a talent enhancement that stays with you for all the games you play afterwards. With my idea, the difference would be that you choose a preference of the order that the talents would be unlocked, in the event that you play a game with that number of unlocked talents called an "Altar Score."

Imagine a scale with 20 gold coins weighing on one side and 4 gold coins weighing the other side. To balance the scale, we would remove 8 gold coins from the first side and place them on the other side.

Next, imagine that 20 people queued to play a game with levels as follows...

________________Blue Team:___Red Team:
Frost Witch_______20__________19
Sister of Fire______10__________6
Berserker_________5___________15
Berserker_________18__________20
Tank_____________8___________10
Tank_____________13__________5
Gunner___________19___________14
Gunner___________12___________12
Sapper___________9____________20
Healer____________20___________8

...how would you balance the scales? For this game, the “Altar Score” would be 13.15.
((Blue Team: 20+10+5+18+8+13+19+12+9+20) + (Red Team: 19+6+15+20+10+5+14+12+20+8))/20 = 13.15
Signifying, that the order that the first 13 talents were chosen by each player would be the 13 effective skills for each respective player this game.

At each level-up of your character, you are choosing the preference number associated with that level. So, at level 15 you are choosing the 15th preference skill to be unlocked, in the event that you are queued to a game with an “Altar Score” calculation of 15. If, instead, you are queued to a game with an “Altar Score” lower than 15, then the order you chose the lower skills would be the only relevant ones that game. And, if you are queued to a game with an “Altar Score” higher than your level, then the computer chooses the additional skills randomly for you that game. The “ReSkill” button would work the same way, 50 crystals, with the difference being that it resets your preference order.

In this way, I think playing skill and experience would be the primary deciding factors of every win. I think, queues for games during populous and even less populated times of the day would be nearly instantaneous, either way.

What do you guys think about this idea?

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Post Re: Altar Score Idea
At first glance it looks nice, cause you find more matches with balanced teams etc.
But at a closer look I dislike the idea.
I level to 20 only to see my level being reduced automatically in battles, because there are not enough other high levels which make the altar score to be <20? Thank you, sir. This would make me leave the game for that day/night until there are enough other highlevels and I can play on "my" level that I earned to play on.
Furthermore that would allow level 20 equipped ppl to play with level 1 equipped newcomers. Not good :/

I think there are some logistic problems, too.
When a lowlevel player gets a higher altar score and thus new skills he cannot choose from inside the battle where and on what key binding he wants the skill to be in the skill bar which probably leads to confusion.

- Paladin -

Revenge is a dish best served cold
Old Klingon Proverb

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Post Re: Altar Score Idea
skhar wrote:
I level to 20 only to see my level being reduced automatically in battles, because there are not enough other high levels which make the altar score to be <20? Thank you, sir. This would make me leave the game for that day/night until there are enough other highlevels and I can play on "my" level that I earned to play on.

It is true that your Altar Score would be adjusted lower than 20 until the time of day when at least 20 players your level are logged onto the game.
skhar wrote:
Furthermore that would allow level 20 equipped ppl to play with level 1 equipped newcomers. Not good :/

In the worse case, yes it would allow that. I wish I knew the distribution of players along the level range to know how likely that would be. The working goal, of course, would be to match as many lower level players as possible to games with similarly low leveled players. The same for the middle and higher level players. We all agree, ideally we would only be matched with players our own level, every game.

So, perhaps smaller partitions of 20 (1to4, 5to8, 9to12, 13to16, and 17to20 ) would be the places where the Altar Score is tried first by the game's algorithm—only expanding wider if the smaller ones could not be done.

skhar wrote:
I think there are some logistic problems, too. When a lowlevel player gets a higher altar score and thus new skills he cannot choose from inside the battle where and on what key binding he wants the skill to be in the skill bar which probably leads to confusion.

I think this can be addressed with an easy addition to the game. When we craft an item, a small window pops up telling us what we made. Similarly, a small window can pop up to tell the players gaining a new talent for a match, which talent the computer has chosen for them, and allowing them to drag and drop it to one of the 1-0 or F1-F12 keys at the bottom of their screen.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]